Mar 18, 2010

I came, I saw, but felt too lazy to conquer

After so many bad, unproductive, boring, sickening (and a few more bad adjectives) days later, today I had a really nice day. Nothing big though. Just had a workshop to deliver on Data and Dimensional Modelling. But I had been preparing it for what seemed like ages to me. I had initially started it on last to last week's Friday. Then I thought I will finish it over the weekend. The coveted 'weekend' came and passed by without even informing me about its arrival. No probs! I thought. There's one more week to go right. So here I was, trying to prepare for this seemingly mammoth task. I always tried to start by opening up the Business Intelligence Development Studio along with the Word document to write down whatever I did so that I could pass it on to the participants. But I never actually could do more than 2 pages a day. So after one more (working)week, I had 10 pages of 'How To' stuff documented. The weekend was supposed to help me finish the job. Instead, it ruined it by letting me get drunk(Saturday night) and watch movies(Sunday - The Aviator, 300, Passion of the Christ, Teen Patti) all day. 


Then came the dreaded  D week(something similar to D Day :P). I didn't know what to do. But somehow I was still confident that I can crack it. After all I had not done anything for the past one week citing this ONE reason. Yeah, and I forgot to tell you why I was confident. Tuesday was a holiday as it was a Kannada festival called Ugadi. No goodies to guess what happened that day also. But somehow I managed to do 5 more pages. The workshop begins on Wednesday, and my session on Thursday. But it was funny how I still didn't feel tensed. The 10 minutes of 'away from the whole world' time in the loo was spent on pondering why wasn't I working? Am I not interested or what? Then enlightenment dawned on me. It struck me that all my life I had followed this one principle, which one of my colleague helped me realize a few days back - "when some thing can be done at the eleventh hour, why do it now?" So now that I had the answer to my problem, I felt a lot more free. Whole afternoon and evening on Wednesday was spent on doing what I do best - nothing. 



After I came back home, I saw it was The Eleventh Hour. I sat down at 10:30pm, worked till 2:30am, and came up with a 84 page document covering the most simplest to the most complex of concepts. Also things which even I didn't knew existed. Beat that! Finally I delivered the session today, and according to me it was a hit. People liked it and even came up to the dais(where I was packing my laptop) to appreciate and thank me. Only time will say if those appreciations really worked. Eagerly waiting for the feedback results tomorrow :)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails